Sunday, November 30, 2014

1 Day JB Adventure

Alright, once again, I took a quick getaway to our neighbouring country, Malaysia. Johor Bahru to be more specific.

This trip is going to be a short one because I just went in for fun and most of the places that I went was covered in my 2 days JB trip (Day 1 and Day 2) already, so I am not going to repeat.

The newer places that I went was the Restoran Kin Hua, which was right opposite Hiap Joo Bakery & Biscuit Factory.
Restoran Kin Hua

I have covered on Hiap Joo in the previous JB post, so I am going to skip it, but I need to mention again that their banana cake is really awesome.
Hiap Joo Bakery & Biscuit Factory

Anyway back to Restoran Kin Hua, I have heard many good stuff about this coffee shop, so I decided to went in early that day to try their breakfast.
Nasi Lemak (Egg) 
Nasi Lemak (Fish) 
Malaysia's nasi lemak is different from Singapore's. Unlike the many ingredients available in Singapore's nasi lemak, the main highlight in Malaysia's nasi lemak is their chilli. There were only 2 options at the shop, fish one or egg one. Look at the pictures, it was so simple but it taste good.

Kaya Toast
Kaya Toast Bun 
 The other things that I tried there was the kaya toast. This shop offered 2 types of bread for the toast. One was the standard toast, the other one was the bun. I preferred the bun ones because the outer skin was slightly crispy and the interior was soft and warm. It's easily one of the better toasts I had.

Anyway, because it has been a while now before I post this, I had already forgotten the price, It wasn't very expensive, so I would recommend that you go down and try it yourself. It is near the custom too, so it is rather convenient.

So shopping starts after breakfast.....

Fast forward, lunch was at Ah Soon Bak Kut Teh. I had tried a number of bak kut teh around the area, but not this so I decided to give it a try.
Ah Soon Bak Kut Teh
I have heard a lot about this shop because it was quite popular in among Singaporeans and you will definitely find this if you are searching online for a good bak kut teh shop in JB. The reason why I always tried other shops but not this is because of the crowd.
Inside Ah Soon Bak Kut Teh
 This place is crowded at any time of the day, so I always decided to go for other shop for meals instead of waiting for seats.
Bak Kut Teh for 2 pax
I expected this bak kut teh to be good because it is always very crowded, but it disappointed me. The soup wasn't as tasty and the meat was tough. Compared to the other 2 bak kut teh stalls (read my Soon Soon Heng vs Soon Huat Bak Kut Teh) that I have tried, this one was the worst. No wonder the locals didn't recommend me to this shop even though it was popular online. Sometimes online reviews cannot be trusted. 

Anyway, I tried the D'Laksa Original Penang Laksa too. It was really good! That explained the long queue, This place is located at the basement of KSL near one of the escalator. I can smell the aroma when I was on the escalator.
Penang Laksa - RM5.00
So I tried the Penang laksa and the soup was awesome. Just to clear some doubt, Penang laksa and assam laksa are the same thing. I realised a lot of people thought it was 2 different kind of laksa. So if you like assam, you will love this laksa. Come and try it.

That's all the things I wanted to post for the trip. It is just a summary of all the food I ate during this trip to JB. For the things to do at JB, refer back to my 2 day JB trip (Day 1 and Day 2) .

For more and better view of pictures, visit Flying Panda Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment